Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default How long can a TV extension cable be?

In message , BartC writes

I never solder those things, and I expect the tiniest amount of capacitance
will do the job. Actually, I often only have to hold the plug near the RF
socket on a TV, and I start to get a picture, on an analogue set at least.

(In fact, I'm just done a test on a digital TV, disconnecting the RF lead at
a joint: if the outer screen is in contact, I start to get a picture when
the inner core is 2 or 3 mm away from the centre pin! So the signal can jump
an air gap of a tenth of an inch, and from one point to another, while
an unsoldered wire will have a 1 or 2cm length in a hollow tube so a
greater capacitive effect)

A description of how to fit them is he-

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

If a job is worth doing then it is worth doing properly!! :-)

--
Bill