Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How long can a TV extension cable be?

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:36:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Well it sounds like you have escaped that for the mo, although with the
switch to digital you may not be out of the woods yet ;-)

Nope!

Everything you and others said about a suspected dodgy connection or
broken wire must be true, since this morning I moved the cable some
small distance (still left it lying on top of the insulation, i.e. not
routed along the joists) and now the picture is back to being grainy.

I moved the TV to another room in case the signal this morning (from
the transmitter) is weaker, but no, reception in the kitchen is as
good as ever (i.e. excellent).

I've been up and down the step-ladder numerous times, with the TV in
the hall on an extension cable from the wall plate, and up in the loft
I've jiggled like crazy, but the picture doesn't improve. Dunno
whether it helps the diagnosis, but when I say grainy, don't get the
idea that the picture is unwatchable. It is still watchable, but it is
NOT as clear and as sharp as in any of the other rooms.

But last night it WAS excellent, even in the living room, so it must
have been pure fluke the way I first un-routed the cable and left it
lying.

Dunno what to try now. I checked the plug where it goes into the amp
and it looks all right. Same with the wall plate, I've got it off the
wall and it's dangling there, but the connection seems well-made.

MM