Posted to alt.home.repair
Congoleum Breckenridge Congoleum Breckenridge is offline

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On 4/9/2011 1:37 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:

snip

You might start at the beginning and make sure everything is hooked up
correctly. I mean, once you spring for yet another transformer. For
example, your latest fried transformer has six wires. The schematic
shows the secondary wire colors as blue and red. Given the location of
the blue and red wires on the pic of the transformer you have, that's
not quite intuitive.

And, it may not even be right. So I'd buy a new one, and check some
voltages on the bench. Put 120 into the black and white, and then
measure every other pair to make sure you understand which two wires are
really putting out 24 V.

Obviously, when you go to install it, clip and shrink tube the unused
wires, and make sure that leads are dressed so that they won't short
anywhere.

Then I'd be monitoring the damn thing, preferably with a voltmeter
perhaps on the primary and an ammeter on the secondary.

That 3rd transformer looks like a dual voltage (120/240) input.
If it is, it has two primary windings, and both need to be wire up to work.
Like this: http://www.eleinmec.com/figures/027_02.gif