Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 17:46:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Well, the way I see it. If he FUSES the SECONDARY side, and
the transformer BLOWS, it might still be a BAD NEUTRAL. At
this point, MY best GUESS is some kind of problem with the
SECONDARY wiring. But, I'm NOT THERE to check.

He needs to fuse the secondary and meter the primary, and have someone
switch all the loads while he watches the meter. This will tell if he
has a neutral issue, because a load on the "other phase" will cause
the voltage to go up while a load on the "same phase" will cause the
voltage to go down.

Even simpler, when the blower motor comes on, if he has a neutral
issue the voltage on the primary WILL DROP. Absolutely no question.
(and more than 1 volt - virtually guaranteed)