Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 21:30:15 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:04:32 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

On 4/9/2011 2:58 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 14:41:05 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

But measuring and
understanding the ramifications of current (amperage) is where I get a
little fuzzy. Would you help me out? That's why I came here.

I advised you the last time to measure the 24 volt circuit amperage
draw and convert that to the specs (volt-amps) of the transformer. If
the draw is out of bounds of the specs then the 24 volt circuit is the
problem. You can't put a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Yes, you did, and thanks for the suggestion. I've never used my meter
to measure amperage before, and I don't know how to do that conversion,
but I will study up on it.

An amp meter goes in series with the secondary (or primary) of the
transformer. You can convert amps to volt-amps by multiplying volts times
amps. 24 volts times 1 amp = 24 volt-amps. I don't remember if
transformers are rated differently for the primary or secondary or which
one is usually used. It might be in the technical data usually packed
with the transformer or stamped on the transformer somewhere.

If the spec is for the primary then it would be 117 x amps. Of course the
measurements should be taken while the unit is in heat mode.

The rating is "output" which means the secondary. Primary power will
always be slightly higher due to efficiency issues.