Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

Yo! Neb!
S'appenin
In earlier post, he said it's 24 VAC, 35 VA.
Tnx
Ywlcm
by

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Well, it's not exactly rocket science. And you can't hurt
anything,
unless you get a fuse that's too big (i.e., rated at too
many amps).

First thing you gotta figure out is how much current your
transformer is
rated at. Since your wiring diagrams don't say, we have to
take an
educated guess.

The only thing connected to the transformer is a thingamajig
called the
"integrated furnace control" (IFC). Even without seeing this
thing, I
can guess with confidence that it's an electronic circuit
board which
controls the operation of the furnace. Since it undoubtedly
does so
through relays (either mechanical or electronic), it's safe
to assume
that it doesn't draw much current.

Let's say 1 amp to start. We could be wrong, but that's a
good starting
point. So what we need is a fuse rated at *at least* 24
volts (could be
much more, up to 120 or 240 volts), and *exactly* 1 amp. To
be on the
safe side, let's get a "fast blow" fuse. Hey, fuses are
cheaper than
transformers, right?

So install such a fuse, run the unit and see what happens.

If the fuse blows right away, it's probably too small, so
use the next
bigger fuse; let's say 1.5 A.

Now you want to stop at some point, let's say 2-3 amps,
because now
you're getting up to where you may be exposing whatever
fault there is
with the unit and risking blowing the transformer again. If
this
happens, you're going to have to bite the bullet and find
out what's
wrong with the damn thing. But at least your 3rd transformer
will still
be intact.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang