Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default Gareth Magennis is xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 09:42:02 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Gareth Magennis"

Check this out, if just for educational purposes. Quite interesting.

http://www.4qd.co.uk/serv/MOSFETfail.html

** Got nothing WHATSOEVER to do with LATERAL mosfets !!!

These are completely different animals to switching mosfets.

Originally invented by Hitachi and sold in TO3 packs as 2SK ( N ch) and
2SJ ( P ch) numbers as the perfect output devices for audio amplifiers.
Power amp makers in the UK, Australia and NZ pounced on them and for a
while in the mid 1980s, MOSFET amps were the industry standard.

I cried the day Hitachi quit manufacturing the 2SK49 / 2SJ135 pairs. I
have one old SCS 350w/ch power amp that uses them. I acquired it with a
blow channel back in the late 90's. It wasn't easy back then to find
replacements. I imagine it's probably a lot easier these days to find NOS
replacements. Maybe even a sub is made today?

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse