Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How long can a TV extension cable be?

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:47:32 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , MM
writes
That is, the cable from the back of the TV to the wall plate.

I need to watch the TV in the annexe which has no wall plate, so I
could run an extension from, say, the kitchen's wall plate. But what
is the limit to the length and would I need some sort of booster?

The aerial is currently driving a 14"analogue (CRT) Sony portable, but
will soon be connected to an LCD TV.

Provided you have a reasonable analogue picture in the kitchen I'd
expect an extension of at least 10m to be a walk in the park and 20m may
well be fine. If your LCD telly is digital then you may find that a
cheap fly lead (extension) will let in electrical interference resulting
in occasional picture breakup. If this is the case then a better, double
screened lead should fix it but it may have to be made up by an aerial
shop for you, asking for CT100 cable if that is the route you take.

Thanks, Fred. The electrical shop in the town near me has two 10m
cables, a cheap one (£4) and a better quality one for HD (£6.99). But
anyway I was too late to get there this afternoon, being a Saturday.

MM