Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shim Stock

On 2011-04-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
I bought a piece of stainless shim stock thinking myself over clever to use
in the solution of some minor adjustment problems. It arrived today, and it
just occurred to me that I have no idea how to cut it cleanly without
curling or damaging the edge.

So, what's the best way to cut it?

How thick? If not too thick, you can use a sharp pair of paper
scissors for straight edges and reasonable curves. I use them for
0.0015" steel shim stock.

A bit thicker, perhaps tin shears such as are used in air
conditioning ducting.

If yet thicker, you will need a shear -- with the gap adjusted
according to the thickness of the stock.

If you are the one wanting rings of shim stock, you will need to
make a guided punch to make clean burr-free edges.

I don't think that the suggested knife-edge steel against a hard
rubber backing will produce your needed freedom from burrs.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564