Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Duplicate Boring

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 23:08:55 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:38:25 -0500, the renowned Tim Wescott
wrote:

I want to make a bunch of identical molds, for 3/4" diameter model
airplane wheels.

I'm envisioning a tool that's 3/8" across, that I just sharpen up, grit
my teeth, and push into a spinning piece of aluminum to make my desired
profile.

Is this a sensible thing to consider? Is there some other way (short of
CNC machining) to easily duplicate cavities in the ends of a bunch of
aluminum tubes?

Hobbing?

P.S. Not the gear-making process, this one:

http://tinyurl.com/hobbing

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany