Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron FIsher Aaron FIsher is offline

Default Is a 3-foot tall sheet steel chimney cap 'functional' or'aesthetic' ?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:36:46 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
As to whether it's also functional, without a pic looking down into the
chimney, I can't tell how well those protrusions are secured, nor if the
chimney is functionally capped without the appendage.

Ah. Good question.

I don't have a picture of that (I'd have to crack a few more roof tiles
to do that!) but the chimney is totally 'capped' (if I understand you).

By that I mean, if you removed those three (spark arrestors?) from the
chimney, all you'd have on the horizontal part are the three holes where
they came out of the otherwise concrete flat top of the chimney.

Is 'that' what you mean by functionally 'capped'?