Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Should metal chimney liners be grounded against lightning strikes?

andyeverett wrote:
I was at a home today which a while back had a lightning strike the
chimney and explode the top of the chimney off. On the drive home I
got to thinking, I have two metal chimney liners, one for a first
floor wood-stove and another for the furnace and only the furnace
liner is indirectly grounded, I guess, via the furnace ground. If TV
antennas need to be grounded should chimney liners be grounded as
well?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Hi,
If you worry about it, how about eaves trough?
Too many things to ground around the house.
We are always exposed to lightning, if got hit direct,
nothing much will withstand no matter what.