Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should metal chimney liners be grounded against lightning strikes?

On Apr 8, 6:55*am, LSMFT wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
andyeverett wrote:
I was at a home today which a while back had a lightning strike the
chimney and explode the top of the chimney off. On the drive home I
got to thinking, I have two metal chimney liners, one for a first
floor wood-stove and another for the furnace and only the furnace
liner is indirectly grounded, I guess, via the furnace ground. If TV
antennas need to be grounded should chimney liners be grounded as
well?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Can't hurt.

Put up a lightning rod, which doesn't ground anything, to discourage
lightning in the first place.

HeyBub wrote:

--
All is as it is.

andyeverett wrote:
I was at a home today which a while back had a lightning strike the
chimney and explode the top of the chimney off. On the drive home I
got to thinking, I have two metal chimney liners, one for a first
floor wood-stove and another for the furnace and only the furnace
liner is indirectly grounded, I guess, via the furnace ground. If TV
antennas need to be grounded should chimney liners be grounded as
well?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Can't hurt.

Put up a lightning rod, which doesn't ground anything, to discourage
lightning in the first place.

If you ground a metal liner you will just attract the lightening,
something you don't want. If lightening will blow the bricks off a
chimney which is not a conductor, I don't think lightening cares where
it strikes. If you ground it and it attracts lightening it could still
blow the top of your chimney off. A higher lightening rod may attract it
instead, (may). It's not an exact science.

--
All is as it is.- Hide quoted text -

Lightening is what Michael Jackson did to his face. Lightning is what
happens when clouds build up dissimilar charges and there is a giant
spark between the clouds or between the coulds and the earth.