Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Shim Stock

On Apr 8, 6:40*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 04/08/2011 02:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I bought a piece of stainless shim stock thinking myself over clever to
use in the solution of some minor adjustment problems. It arrived today,
and it just occurred to me that I have no idea how to cut it cleanly
without curling or damaging the edge.

So, what's the best way to cut it?

I have cut reed valves for Cox 049 engines out of sheet brass with tin
snips, and rubbed the edges flat again with a burnisher (well, the
handle of an X-Acto knife, but I said "thou art a burnisher" before I
did it).
Tim Wescott

A piece of 0.020" stainless I salvaged from an outdoor sign cuts
satisfactorily with tin snips.

jsw