Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Shim Stock

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I bought a piece of stainless shim stock thinking myself over clever to use
in the solution of some minor adjustment problems. It arrived today, and
it just occurred to me that I have no idea how to cut it cleanly without
curling or damaging the edge.

So, what's the best way to cut it?

I wouldn't know the best way, but I can tell you how I cut some when I was
replacing a reed valve on a little compressor. I sandwiched the stainless
between two thin pieces of sheet steel (I think it was pieces of an old
paint-thinner can), holding the sandwich tightly and close to the cut in a
vise, and cut through the sandwich with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel.

It cut clean, but it was tricky to keep shifting the sandwich in the vise.

--
Ed Huntress