Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Snake Oil?

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article

,
harry wrote:
It's not considered a good idea to drink softened water.
Agreed but no one has ever explained why (to us, at least).

year we tried to find out as we will be installing a water
softener, and a filter jobby on the kitchen tap.

Because water softeners work by replacing the calcium salts in
hard water with equivalent sodium salts, and it is known that too
much sodium is bad for you. In people who are prone to it,
excessive sodium in the diet can increase blood pressure.
Well I know all that and it sounds good, but it's only a
hand-waving argument unless someone does the sums. If I use
thus-softened water to make my tea/coffee/soft drinks on a daily
basis, how much extra sodium is that giving me over and above what
I'm getting anyway? If I know that, I can make a judgement.

Too many variables, starting with the amount of calcium in the water
that's supplied to your house. The end of the chain is your personal
susceptibility to excess sodium.

Far too handwavy.

Tciao for Now!

"Ciao" doesn't have a "T" in it.