Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Stop heydon windfrm..

On Apr 8, 11:35*am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

*Huge wrote:
On 2011-04-08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
*Huge wrote:

On 2011-04-08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 23:05:47 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

I always knew Bliar was a liar. I'm begining to have a few suspicions
about Cameron.

Only suspicions?

That joke about how you can tell a politician is lying? (His mouth is
moving).

It isn't a joke.

Unfortunately this is an expected trend. Back when, politicians were
self-supporting and more trustworthy. Yes, yes, I know they were toffs
but so what, eh? They had a public service ethic. This was also true on
the Labour side (they weren't toffs but they were still trustworthy and
gentlemen).

Then along comes that nice Mr Wilson, and in the chase after
"trendiness", as aped later by Blair, he decides that he'll make Labour
appear modern and forward thinking (as opposed to those fuddy duddy old
tories) by having politicians become professional and properly paid.

Professionals is now what we've got, and our present-day attitude to
them follows as night follows day.

I beg to differ. Politicians are just the modern day equivalent of robber
barons. They were never "trustworthy gentlemen" - it's just that the
common people were deluded into thinking that.

They may be now. Back then they were paid less than production line
workers. These days you have much more reason to question their
motivations, which is what has led to so much public cynicism,
especially with now three former Labour MPs going to the slammer (I
wonder what Drivel makes of that).

And now the Blair/Brown "reforms" have ****ed up the HoL too. It used to
do a great job as a revising chamber that inspected proposed legislation
and did a lot of work to ensure it was workable - all boring but
necessary stuff. Remember Brown's "People's Peers", none of whom ever
turned up to do any work?

We should have MP service as well as Jury service. Randomly selected,
four years with a guarantee of getting your old job back at the end.

MBQ