Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Code question - conduit from weatherhead to meter

Thought I would post a single reply to all the responses to my orginal
post.

Frist off, thanks to all who took the time to respond. Appreciate
your time and effort. I spoke with DWP again and the service rep
offered to come out and look things over again. After going through
some options, he will allow me to move the meter and riser to a better
location; one out of sight from the backyard. Still have to play with
the riser a bit, but everyone's happy (well, maybe not Evan ;-).

As to Evan's comments.....

Much amused at what was the grandest display of "Ignorant Buffoonery"
I've seen in a long time. Rather than bother to reply to each of his
comments individually, let me summarize.

The city will not approve an underground feed. If you had bothered to
ask rather than rant, you might have found that out. But ranting on
without knowing the facts is one of the signs of "IB."

You comment about the hassle of plans and approvals. If you had read
(and understood) my original post you would have been able to figure
out that everything is being done to code, with permits and
inspections. After all, I mentioned "code" and "inspectors" and "DWP"
in my post. Permits/inspections are already factored in. Lacking in
reading comprehension isn't itself a sin. However when you not only
demonstrate but wallow proudly in your ignorance you make a total fool
of yourself and, again, assume the mantle of "IB."

You discount the homeowner's desire to achieve their aesthetic vision
and say to just let the electrician do it the "easy way." All I can
say is "Wow!" Maybe you've never owned your own home. Or maybe you
simply don't have any pride in workmanship. Contrary to what you may
think, I pay those who work for me quite well and, in return, I expect
them to produce very high quality results. I would never just tell
people to do what is easy whatever the results; but I guess you
would. "IB" yet again.

Finally without even trying to understand the situation, you presented
the false dicothomy of either "bury the cable" or "don't upgrade the
service." You seem to be incapable of understanding that your limited
knowledge and perception may not allow for solutions beyond the
immediately obvious. Can I get an "IB" from the congregation?

I could go on but I think that everyone who has read my original post
and your comments can come to their own conclusions. But, honestly, I
haven't seen anyone embarrass themselves as much as you have done here
in a very long time.

To everyone else, once again thank you all for your comments. The
meter and riser will go where I want, LADWP was a pleasure to work
with, and everyone (who matters) is happy.