Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Can someone recommend decent soldering/desoldering station

On Apr 6, 9:37*pm, Ignoramus21203 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-04-07, KD7HB wrote:

Iggy, was the set made using lead-free solder? This may have bee
your problem. Regular soldering irons may not get hot enough unless
you have an adjustable heat unit.

I am not sure, this is a 6 or so year old plasma TV.

My problem was that a) solder indeed did not want to melt easily and
2) It would not stick to the soldering iron well etc.

I will check the name of the ones we use for lead-free and add that
info to the posting tomorrow. I know they use RF to heat the tip.

Regular solder suckers also work for lead-free solder, but you have
to be quick before it solidifies.

I have two good news on this front.

First is that I really did fix the plasma TV. The problem was two
bulged caps in the power supply, which I replaced.

Second is that I have a Pace 2000 soldering/desoldering station, in
some disrepair (military surplus). It does not quite work. I set it in
a corner, but after looking at Pace website today and seeing $5k USD
price on that station, I will try my best to fix whatever issues it
may have.

I've used a Pace as well, but pasty solder that doesn't stick sounds
like the lead-free stuff to me. Had a miserable time trying to pull
decayed through-hole caps on a motherboard with that stuff on it.
Wouldn't wick and stuck like glue. Wouldn't suck out, either. Ended
up doing the cap wiggle maneuver, heat one leg, push the top over to
pull the lead as far as it would go, do the other side the same,
repeat until extracted. Then drill the holes out with a small bit.
Had to watch the heat so the plating didn't come along with the
leads. The replacements got a dose of the good old stuff, some Sav-
Bit Ersin I keep around for such occasions. I tried the dilution with
regular solder bit, the original stuff didn't mix at all.

Stan