Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can someone recommend decent soldering/desoldering station

As I recall we used this one - or the dated one before this model.

http://www.okinternational.com/product_soldering/mx500

Notice all of the optional probes - de-soldering - etc.

Martin

On 2011-04-07, wrote:
KD7HB wrote:
Iggy, was the set made using lead-free solder? This may have bee your problem. Regular soldering irons may not get hot enough unless you have an adjustable heat unit.

I will check the name of the ones we use for lead-free and add that info to the posting tomorrow. I know they use RF to heat the tip.

Regular solder suckers also work for lead-free solder, but you have to be quick before it solidifies.

Paul

I really like the Metcal irons.
They use induction to heat the tip.
http://www.metcal.com/

The tips swap quickly and are available in a wide
range of sizes and temperatures.

--Winston

Which one of those metcals would you recommend, for general through
hole stuff?