Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Roughing Out Small Plexiglass Disks?

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
I need to make some clear front sight apertures for my target rifle.
These have a conical hole bored in the center, which makes a small black
ring when mounted in a hooded sight tube. The commercial ones are
getting scarce, especially in the sizes I need. The OD is ~ 0.86", and
the inner hole will go down as small as 0.095"

I'd like to turn the OD on a short stack of blanks bolted to an arbor
with a 2-56 screw. If I can cut them into rough octagons, I should be
able to turn them to size fairly easily. What I'm wondering about is the
best way to cut out the rough blanks without raising a burr or making a
mess out of the protective plastic/paper film on the back side. I'd
planned on using my bandsaw, but my experience is that the back of
plastic cut on it is pretty rough.

I was thinking I could back up the plastic with scrap masonite to get a
cleaner cut. It might also be time to put a new blade on the saw. I
thought about sticking the plastic down with double stick, but I suspect
the protective film would come off when I try to remove the backer.

Any other tricks or suggestions?

Thanks!

Doug White

Score both sides with a utility knife and snap off with a pliers.