Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Solar Panels - change of views on this NG?

On Apr 7, 3:22*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 02:21:34 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

However, should the bloody thing pack up before its paid for itself, the
onus would be on you to get it fixed.

And I wouldn't mind betting that the guvmint might not at some stage
discover a legal loophole in that fitting a new panel to replace a
busted one, was a 'new install' and suddenly wasn't eligible for any FIT
at all.

That I can see happening, though isn't the FIT cash coming via a levy
on the electicity companies, rather than out of the treasury? It's
only been channeled through the government.

The guvmint REQUIRE the operators to pay FITS,. So instead of being a
state subsidy its a ..state subsidy, that doesn't appear on the guvmint
books.

Its like being required to employ deaf dumb and blind idiots at inflated
wages, by passing a law, all the expense falls SomeWhere Else.(TM)

This allows the renewables assholes to say 'but we are not subsidised,
honest guv!'

However the effect is a tax on electricity consumers that gets passed
directly to antisocial people installing useless PV panels, at the
pubilic's expense,

Cos the FITS wont last very long, if what's happening all over Europe
and the world, is anything to go by

Well they have started chipping away at what is eligiable for FIT
payments already. Give it a few years and they will be gone for new
installs. As some one said it's a bit of race to get 'em in now
before the FIT are either removed or become less financially
attractive. You are still taking a gamble on not having significant
maintenance costs though.

Exactly, If the thing goes phut before its even paid for itself, you are
out of pocket.

I wont cry.

I quiet agree with you on this. Just one small detail: if I've
understood correctly, FIT payments arent connected to energy really
produced, so the system can be as dead as a parrot, you don't need to
fix it to get paid.

NT