Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:20:07 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Apr 7, 12:17Â*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:13:49 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:23Â*am, "RogerT" wrote:
I am going to be replacing a small section of underground sewer pipe that
runs from the front of my house toward the street. Â*The existing underground
sewer pipe is 4-inch cast iron. Â*I will be using PVC to replace the line
from the front of my house and connecting to that sewer line about 5 feet
out.

Can I use a Fernco coupling to connect the new PVC to the old underground
cast iron sewer pipe?

If not, how is that type of connection usually made?

What do local codes say about your use of PVC in sewer run that is
presently cast iron ?

Would there be a problem obtaining cast iron piping and patching
whatever pipe has given way ?

Since you are already digging up the pipe why not replace the
entire run, as it gets expensive to dig it up and repair it 4' at a
time...

~~ Evan

Â*MOST places PREFER PVC to C!.

That's crap... If that were the case any work done to the line
would require its replacement with PVC...

Well, if your house has cast iron sewer pipe and stack, MANY insurance
companies will NOT write you a policy for new business without having
it replaced.
ANd any time sewer lines are replaced here they are NOT replaced with
cast iron - not Transite (or cement) either. The only thing used
around here is PLASTIC - both inside the house and underground.