Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

On Apr 5, 12:25*am, Bill wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. *I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! *; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

Need a whole lot of cheap miter clamps? Cut the thing
down the side with a slitting wheel. Sharpen the cut
ends so they'll bite into wood.