Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Can someone recommend decent soldering/desoldering station

On 2011-04-07, wrote:

(...)

I really like the Metcal irons.
They use induction to heat the tip.
http://www.metcal.com/

The tips swap quickly and are available in a wide
range of sizes and temperatures.

--Winston

Which one of those metcals would you recommend, for general through
hole stuff?

The MX-500S is the current model.

http://www.okinternational.com/produ...ng/mx500Rework

Mine is the MX-500P-11 to which I added a Talon SMT iron.
The modern equivalent is the MX-500TS.
http://www.okinternational.com/produ...dering/mx500ts
If you are contemplating *any* rework using two-pin SMT parts
I highly recommend the Talon handle. (MX-TALON)

I ty-wrapped one of Larry's ToolyRoo pouches to the
cable on the handle and placed half a dozen tips inside.
Fast and convienient!
http://www.diversify.com/handypouches.html

The tips are not cheap if you pay full bore retail.
I've been lucky buying used tips off ePay, though
it is easy to buy the wrong tip if one is not
very careful with part numbers.

--Winston