Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21203 Ignoramus21203 is offline

Default Can someone recommend decent soldering/desoldering station

On 2011-04-07, KD7HB wrote:

Iggy, was the set made using lead-free solder? This may have bee
your problem. Regular soldering irons may not get hot enough unless
you have an adjustable heat unit.

I am not sure, this is a 6 or so year old plasma TV.

My problem was that a) solder indeed did not want to melt easily and
2) It would not stick to the soldering iron well etc.

I will check the name of the ones we use for lead-free and add that
info to the posting tomorrow. I know they use RF to heat the tip.

Regular solder suckers also work for lead-free solder, but you have
to be quick before it solidifies.

I have two good news on this front.

First is that I really did fix the plasma TV. The problem was two
bulged caps in the power supply, which I replaced.

Second is that I have a Pace 2000 soldering/desoldering station, in
some disrepair (military surplus). It does not quite work. I set it in
a corner, but after looking at Pace website today and seeing $5k USD
price on that station, I will try my best to fix whatever issues it
may have.