Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT[_3_] RogerT[_3_] is offline

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 10:49 am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:23 am, "RogerT" wrote:

I am going to be replacing a small section of underground sewer pipe
that
runs from the front of my house toward the street. The existing
underground
sewer pipe is 4-inch cast iron. I will be using PVC to replace the line
from the front of my house and connecting to that sewer line about 5
feet
out.

Can I use a Fernco coupling to connect the new PVC to the old
underground
cast iron sewer pipe?

If not, how is that type of connection usually made?

ferncos are used here. in replacing the line its important to fill the
trench with sand or gravel before placing line and get the slope
right and the line properly supported along its entire length, and
cover the new line the same as the bottom before backfilling espically
if the line is extra deep, you dont want to drop big rocks on the new
line.

kinda common sense things but lots of folks lack common sense

Thanks. I found this article which includes info on how to do the back
filling after the new pipe goes in:
http://www.cispi.org/handbook/chapter6.pdf .

And on one of the Google searches I did, someone wrote something similar
about surrounding the pipe with sand or clean dirt in areas that are rocky
to prevent sharp rocks from damaging the pipe.

So, what you wrote is correct and worth noting even if it is common sense.