Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:31:48 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Apr 6, 4:56Â*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 08:30:09 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

OK I went ahead and goggled. Coupling should have a shear shield when
buried . This is a stainless steel band that wraps around the coupling
From the looks of things this come with the coupling and is not an add-
on.

Called an MJ (Mechanical Joint)

That's a really odd term as all flexible coupling joints are
mechanical joints. The only term I've ever heard used for a shielded
flexible coupling is shielded flexible coupling.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/fle.../N-a85Z1z0ytb9
and that's the ASTM term as well:
http://www.astm.org/Standards/C1541.htm

look at http://www.fergusonfire.com/pdfs/Sec58.pdf

take a look at Metro Supply --
http://www.metrosupply.ca/catalog/519410
They list both the Fernco flex and MJ products.

Fernco calls them "Proflex" oand "sheilded couplings" as well on
their website.
Another Ferco product is the "strongback", as well as the "no hub".

All of these are generically referred to by all the plumbing supply
houses around here as "MJ"s, and that's how I was introduced to them
by my old plumber friend ED the first time I ran into an application
where one was needed. He just said "call Marks' and ask them for an MJ
for sizeX PVC to size Y copper"

Problem solved.