Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Is a 3-foot tall sheet steel chimney cap 'functional' or'aesthetic' ?

On Apr 6, 4:36*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
The three-foot tall, four-feet long sheet steel fabricated around my
chimney is falling apart so I took it down.

All that is sticking up out of the chimney itself are the elaborate spark
arrestors (multiple chimneys use the same concrete column) which look
like 18" tall space ships sticking out of the top of the chimney.

I realize the cap I removed served an aesthetic purpose; but is that the
ONLY purpose?

That is, with the spark arresters (or whatever they are) sticking out of
the chimney still intact, what 'function' does the three-foot wide by
four feet by two feet painted steel chimney 'surround' cap perform?

A secondary question would be advice for fabricating a new one if it's
needed (it certainly would look better with it back on).

Take your specs to a good sheet metal shop and have them build you
one. There are nice coated sheet metal types available today that are
perfect for painting. If you get one made with these modified
galvanized materials it should last for many years.

Joe