Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default Strangely marked BUZ Mosfet

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:25:57 +0100, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:45:02 +0100, Gareth Magennis wrote:

p.s. it has been repaired at a place I know about that is well known
for dodgy repairs, and the soldering is absolutely shocking.

Why not just replace all 4 with known pairs? TT manufactures a bunch of
different audio mosfet devices
http://www.semelab.com/magnatec/alfet.shtml

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Yes, that is my preferred option, and I could get them from Farnell
tomorrow.
However, that would cost me about £50 for the four, so perhaps £60 to
the customer, which is getting on for $100.

If there is any doubt what these oddly marked devices actually are I
will do just that.

Cheers,

Gareth.

$100 isn't bad for a slayed output stage. Especially on previously bodged
repairs. For that combo and most others including vintage my minimum fee
is $100 before parts. I do more work on vintage than anything. People
drag in these Silvertone, Airline, Ampeg, Gibson etc.. from the late
1950's/60's all the time. If it's a small combo like a GA series
Discovery,Maestro,Explorer etc...I'll slide the $100 minimum fee unless
it needs a restoration. Last Silvertone 50 watt head I restored I charged
$200 labor and the customer never batted an eyelid.

I'd replace all 4 of those devices and take a hard look at the whole thing
probably before I ordered parts.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse