Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Can someone recommend decent soldering/desoldering station

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:16:16 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus21203
wrote:

I worked today to fix my BIL's plasma TV. I had to replace a couple of
bad capacitors in the power supply. Working with a regular soldering
iron was rather unpleasant and inconvenient. So, I want to ask, would
anyone recommend a decent soldering/desoldering setup.

There are some cheap Chinese units sold for cell phone modders that
work okay.

Personally, for everyday use, I use a Weller solder station and a Pace
desoldering tool (graphite vane vacuum pump) for through-hole parts.

If you want the best, try to score a used Metcal set. They use RF and
work on the basis of curie point of ferrite to deliver almost instant
heat to the work. IIRC, the desoldering tools require shop air, which
might not be a problem for you.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany