Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default RCD repeatedly tripping

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 5:15 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
Charlie wrote:
A couple of questions do I have two separate problems here?
1. No power to the kitchen "island"
2. An earthed live or neutral some on the ring (or possibly even

an
appliance that wasn't unplugged). I guess it's possible that

there's
a spur that we don't know about that something is plugged into, or

mouse has chewed through a wire

Are the problems are related?
Is the quote from the electrician reasonable?

It could be any number of things, but it is pretty certain to be

related
to the kitchen ring. Cable snapped/worn through, cable come undoen

in a
socket and touching another terminal. Even a fault at the CU end.
A few tests on the circuit would soon pin down the fault, or the

general
area in which to look.
600 is way over the top in my view.
That price would buy a consumer unit change, and new socket faces

and
switches in the kitchen.

Where are you?
There are some electricians on here who may be able to help.
Alan.

Alan,

My postcode is AL5 if anyone wants to private message me.
Otherwise I'll get someone in first thing. I appreciate the advice,
at least I know what I should be expecting the electrician to do.

Do you think there are two separate problems (no power to the "island"
& a separate earth to live/neutral somewhere) or is it most likely to
be one fault causing both?

Thanks

Charlie

For your own protection when solved you need a periodic inspection
certificate, and renew it each year. Come the (hopefully never
happening) fatality the court will look at you as having horns and a
forked tongue - as a landlord you need to be whiter than white. I
speak as a landlord myself!

AWEM