Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

RogerT wrote:
I am going to be replacing a small section of underground sewer pipe
that runs from the front of my house toward the street. The existing
underground sewer pipe is 4-inch cast iron. I will be using PVC to
replace the line from the front of my house and connecting to that
sewer line about 5 feet out.

Can I use a Fernco coupling to connect the new PVC to the old
underground cast iron sewer pipe?

If not, how is that type of connection usually made?

I installed two ferncos on a four inch ID concrete line about 10 years ago,
and they are still holding up fine. The reason was to install a cleanout,
as the existing one had been covered in concrete when the homeowner
purchased the property.

I backfilled it with 3/4 minus, and then dirt making up to ground level. .
No problems, and nothing has moved or shifted since installation.

Jon