Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:17 am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:01 am, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:49 am, JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 6, 10:23 am, "RogerT" wrote:

I am going to be replacing a small section of underground sewer
pipe that runs from the front of my house toward the street. The
existing underground sewer pipe is 4-inch cast iron. I will be
using PVC to replace the line from the front of my house and
connecting to that sewer line about 5 feet out.

Can I use a Fernco coupling to connect the new PVC to the old
underground cast iron sewer pipe?

If not, how is that type of connection usually made?

I would check with manufacturer and local codes on this . My
neighbor used one as you said a few years ago and it ripped when
they filled the trench. He didnt know until his toilet started
backing up a couple of days later. Dont know if that is a problem
with using coupling underground or an installation problem. I
think they may have disturbed the ground under the new pipe too
much.

Jimmie

ferncos are used here. in replacing the line its important to fill
the trench with sand or gravel before placing line and get the slope
right and the line properly supported along its entire length, and
cover the new line the same as the bottom before backfilling
espically if the line is extra deep, you dont want to drop big
rocks on the new line.

kinda common sense things but lots of folks lack common sense

I kind of leaned more toward a screw up as the most likely cause too.
I bet if the OP googles bury Fernco he will get all the info he
needs.

Jimmie

OK I went ahead and goggled. Coupling should have a shear shield when
buried . This is a stainless steel band that wraps around the coupling
From the looks of things this come with the coupling and is not an
add-
on.

Jimmie

Thanks. I did try doing Google searches before posting, but I hadn't tried
Googling for "bury Fernco". I too, did that after reading your first post,
and that produced a lot of good information. I also saw some suggestions to
use a shielded Fernco coupling.

I then went to http://www.fernco.com and
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings to see what they look like
and what they are for etc. I'm going to go back and do more reading at the
main Fernco site because I saw lnks there for FAQ's, videos, etc.

Thanks.