Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Fernco coupling okay for underground sewer pipe?

On Apr 6, 10:23*am, "RogerT" wrote:
I am going to be replacing a small section of underground sewer pipe that
runs from the front of my house toward the street. *The existing underground
sewer pipe is 4-inch cast iron. *I will be using PVC to replace the line
from the front of my house and connecting to that sewer line about 5 feet
out.

Can I use a Fernco coupling to connect the new PVC to the old underground
cast iron sewer pipe?

If not, how is that type of connection usually made?

I would check with manufacturer and local codes on this . My neighbor
used one as you said a few years ago and it ripped when they filled
the trench. He didnt know until his toilet started backing up a couple
of days later. Dont know if that is a problem with using coupling
underground or an installation problem. I think they may have
disturbed the ground under the new pipe too much.

Jimmie