Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 08:45:32 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/5/2011 7:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In
"Lobby writes:
wrote in message
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over from
an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but I
retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

You don't recycle where you live?

I recycle where I live, but I've never lived anywhere that the
recycling pickup/dropoff would take steel other than food cans.

I'm digging out a 6' steel pole ('70s style satellite dish post)
in the back yard, and I have no idea what I'll do with it when it
is out of the ground.

put it in the iron pile?

Throw it in a ditch?

cut it up and put it in your trash?

dig a deeper hole?

We have guys here in town who advertise that they collect all old
scrap metal, which they sell to the metal recycler. Free pickup.
See your local newspaper classified ads.

Or you could make something out of it. Retask these things, guys.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one