Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Lead acid repair

On Apr 6, 10:22*am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes
I expect to be disassembling some SLAs very soon to rebuild, since I
can't get what I'm looking for commercially. Any tips on case
disassembly with SLAs? Or on minimum plate thickness for SLAs that
will see vibration in use?

Well, it's a shame that there are no answers because my son has just
brought me two 12 volt sealed lead acid batteries to look at.
I put them on my old traditional transformer + rectifier charger and
they pull about 2 amps in, settle back off-charge at about 10 volts, and
one section in the middle seems to be hotter than the surrounding area.

So, I'd be interested in any info as well.

That suggests a shorted cell.
They should always be charged at constant voltage not on a traditional
charger. 2.35v per cell until charged, 2.25 float charge max
Stored ones must be charged at least every 6 months.

After many attempt to bring leads acis back from the dead I no longer
bother. IME they never come back to anything like reliable performance.
They can't be realistically opened, the best you can do is to drill down
to the connecting straps to connect to individual cells.

Bob

Likely course of action is to set hand held circular saw to very
shallow, and cut all around the sides near the top. When done,
thinking of regluing it back on with silicone and reinforcing the
whole thing with an all round layer of duct tape. A bit bodgy but
should do the job - I'm pretty much assuming the case is welded
together, not prise-apartable.

NT