Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Safest Method?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:06:26 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
Mac Davis wrote:

I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you, Bill!
The inserts (bought in a 10 pack) are $4 each and I've acently cut
through nails and barb wire with them and had to rotate them where my
bowl gouge would need reshaping..
I've spent years trying to perfect my sharpening and I can't get an
edge half as sharp as the carbide inserts..

Mac, I agree carbide is changing turning.

I rough with an EasyRougher now, the finish is terrible. But it takes
the bowl to round, with less pain and strain then even my largest bowl
gouge.

I recently bought a set of carbide tipped tools from Penn State (small
gouge, skew and parting tool). My wife uses these and I have found then
leave a good finish and I don't have to sharpen them as often as my HSS
(since she doesn't sharpen)

I wonder if this is the same discussion that happened when HSS was being
introduced to replace HCS

I use the bowl pro, Ralph.. Same tool, about 1/2 price..
If you ignore the instructions about "directing the force onto the
tool rest" and make light cuts, you can get a very smooth finish,
especially with the radiased inserts..