Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default OT-Kinda: Ordering Parts and Shipping Cost

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Here's the catch, some will not ship USPS because you can't track the
shipment....

Maybe they lose tracking at the border with Canada? I'm not sure.

I think much of it has to do with insurance and liability. Initially, when I
was put on Bridge City Tools' waiting list for a Jointmaker, I was told that
USPS would not insure it for delivery, whereas UPS and FedEx would. So, I
was prepared to swallow the cost and go the insured route when the order was
filled. Two months later when I got lucky and they came up with a Jointmaker
for me, I was told that USPS would insure it. So, I had it shipped USPS
happy to avoid UPS and FedEx handling and brokerage charges which would have
been substantial on an order of that high value.

I got the order problem free with no duty or handling charges, but I think
now that I was given the wrong information when I was told that USPS would
insure an order like that. In any event, it all turned out well, so I'm
complacent.

The couriers make volume deals with the big shippers like Amazon.

I'm guessing that order costs and details are more quantifiable with the
bigger shippers.