Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair
Tom P Tom P is offline

Default Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing

On 04/04/2011 01:36 PM, vaughn wrote:
wrote in message

It's just a money thing. I shall have a 12% return on capital.

I would certainly be tempted by that deal. That's better than the long-term
return of the stock market. There are, however, other factors. I would need to
be convinced that the panels 1) would likely survive a hurricane and 2) their
installation would not damage my roofing system.

Vaughn

Up front - you should in any case arrange for your building insurance to
be extended to include cover for the panels. Why? Because if it does
blow away in a gale or catch fire or whatever and they don't know about
it, in the worst case the insurance could refuse to pay for the damage.
The additional insurance for my roof panels costs here (Germany) €88
per year. There are cheaper offers but I preferred to use the same
company for all the building related insurance to avoid any finger
pointing problems in the event of a claim.
It is possible that the insurer might demand that the roof structure be
checked by a surveyor before you start work. As far as any damage to the
roof during installation, a reputable installation/roofing company
should in any case have professional liability insurance.