Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default OTish: do larger aerials extend the range of wifi routers/repeaters?

The Natural Philosopher :
Jim K wrote:
On Apr 4, 11:43 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
Jim K :

trying to tweak my wifi signal to reliably get to the garage - will
adding a longer aerial (ebay 10) increase the range noticeably? or is
it snake oil?
I don't know but have you considered Homeplugs? Rather dearer than ten
quid, it has to be said.

I did try with these but had issues with a split load RCD CU, garage
supplied from one side, router from't'other... signal was very erratic
Jim K

I find it hard to understand why someone who is capable of laying a
mains feed to a garage, is incapable of running a bit of cat 5 as well.

I don't see the connection g - in my case there's an awful lot of
concrete been poured since I put in the SWA to the garage some time in
the early 1990s. And in any event, most of the cable routing problems
would actually be *inside* the house. I find the Homeplugs work just
fine.

--
Mike Barnes