Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Safest Method?

On 4/4/2011 8:15 AM, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

There is a lot of truth in the last statement.

I'm a wood and metal lathe guy and have a metal mill.

I can make most anything I want.

HSS is sharper and will cut like a knife edge.

Carbide is a more blunt edge - has radius and is intended for
loaded conditions.

The important thing about them is they will cut the so called Rose woods
of Central America - those loaded with silicon and we have them
up here in North America as well.

Any wood that dulls HSS carbide is good. There are M2, M42 (42
tougher!) and a number of other HSS. So if your regular skew fails,
switch to M2 or M42 skew first.

I like the 'indexable' inserts that are square, triangle, long triangle,
rounds and such. But have only used M42 so far on wood.

You do leave some metals out of the list, but the only maker of M42
tools I know is Dave (D-way tools)

????? you mean kennemetal, valenite, and so on don't make M42?

--
www.wbnoble.com