Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default 4 cycle trimmer recommendations

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/2/2011 9:43 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:18:34 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:07:52 -0700, Andy wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

I don't recommend 4 stroke for any tool powered by a small engine.
Supplied with a fresh oil/gas mix a 2 stroke life expectancy is measured
in decades. I own Echo brand lawn tools some going back 15 or more years
that have not had as much as a spark plug change. Oil and gas isn't hard
to mix. I'm using a synthetic oil at 100:1 ratio for all my 2 stroke
small engines regardless of their ratio requirements based on non-
synthetic oil. They vary from 32:1 to 50:1. Most problems with small
engine tools are carburetor oriented. If you keep the gas fresh and
use a synthetic oil that contains a stabilizer like Stihl's, you won't
have any problems if you buy a quality built tool like an Echo or a Stihl.

the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.
How the heck do they have them set up? Do they run the intake through
the crankcase before it gets to the intake valve?

more info he

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS110R.html

That is not a 4 stroke engine. It is a 2 stroke engine with transfer
ports.

Well please accept my apologies. APPARENTLY, they've (without my
permission G ) quit using the 4-mix engines on the string trimmers.
You now have to go to the brush cutters or the KOMBI system to get the
4-mix. I've got a FS-110 with the 4-mix myself and so do both my sons.
I rekon they discontinued those.

--
Steve Barker