Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Home Center Storage Cabinets: How they get you.

On Apr 4, 3:15*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I bought a 48" ClosetMaid wardrobe cabinet at Home Depot this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/ClosetMaid48Inch

http://www.homedepot.com/ClosetMaid/...00580672/h_d2/...

Here's how they get you...or at least how they got me:

At $108 the price was very comfortable. I read the description and
looked at the pictures so I had a general idea of how the shelves were
laid out.

However, once I put it together I realized how much wasted space there
was. The fixed top shelf is over 20" from the top of the unit. How
much stuff do you have that needs a shelf that's 20" high?

The same holds true for the 2 adjustable shelves. It really could use
3 or more.

I know that they want to keep the price point low so people will buy
it. Less shelves means lower cost, lower weight, less packaging, etc.
I get that.

In the end, I ended up buying two 2 x 4 sheets of MDF, a roll of white
Contact paper and some shelf supports so I could add more shelves.

One more full shelf across the top and 2 half shelves in the
adjustable area. An extra $25 and a few hours of work.

Would I have bought the unit if it was $133 and had the extra shelves?
I can't really say, but seeing the unit as it is now, it was worth the
extra time and money.

That's all...just sort of venting.

You'll remember this and next time I'll bet you build your own and it
will be far more useful. And the price will be lower, too.

Joe