Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Home Center Storage Cabinets: How they get you.

I bought a 48" ClosetMaid wardrobe cabinet at Home Depot this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/ClosetMaid48Inch

http://www.homedepot.com/ClosetMaid/...atalogId=10053

Here's how they get you...or at least how they got me:

At $108 the price was very comfortable. I read the description and
looked at the pictures so I had a general idea of how the shelves were
laid out.

However, once I put it together I realized how much wasted space there
was. The fixed top shelf is over 20" from the top of the unit. How
much stuff do you have that needs a shelf that's 20" high?

The same holds true for the 2 adjustable shelves. It really could use
3 or more.

I know that they want to keep the price point low so people will buy
it. Less shelves means lower cost, lower weight, less packaging, etc.
I get that.

In the end, I ended up buying two 2 x 4 sheets of MDF, a roll of white
Contact paper and some shelf supports so I could add more shelves.

One more full shelf across the top and 2 half shelves in the
adjustable area. An extra $25 and a few hours of work.

Would I have bought the unit if it was $133 and had the extra shelves?
I can't really say, but seeing the unit as it is now, it was worth the
extra time and money.

That's all...just sort of venting.