Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default OT - Tillers

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Ted Frater wrote:

I might get a steak with chips!! for dinner tonight!!

I know that UK chips aren't USA chips - USA chips are called "crisps,"
right?

But I wonder about chips - are they closer to steak fries:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22steak+fries%22
or parsley buttered potatoes, but segmented?
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...red%20potatoes ?

In this one travelogue I saw, the fish & chips didn't look deep-fried at
all - the fish was white and the "chips" were white; great big chunks of
potato, all swimming in grease, delivered in a cone of newspaper. It
looked absolutely delicious! (I've also heard that they sprinkle vinegar
on them. YUM!!!!!)

I "deep fry" "chips" in about 5/8 inch of oil in a #8 Griswold cast iron
killet--preheat the oil to just below the smoke point...

For "salt and vinegar", suggest use 5% acidity white vinegar in an equal
part water, along with appx 1 tbs salt per cup

--Spritz a little bit of it INTO the hot oil WHILE frying the chips, several
times during the frying process...the oil will foam up each time, so BE VERY
CAREFUL TO NOT let oil boil over because likely you will then have a fire on
your hands.

--a dutch oven might provide for a bit more safety....

Not to get all technical here but the signature "salt and vinegar" flavor
profile that is produced by following the above process is due to the
formation of sodium acetate.