Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Buying parts for DIY cheepskate

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Apr 3, 10:44 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

If you want a good laugh, go down to your car dealer and price some
OEM parts..

TMT

A few months ago I was quoted over $800 to change the alternator on my truck
at the dealership. $400 of it was the alternator. An OEM alternator from a
parts store (not rebuilt, not remanufactured, not repaired, but new) was
$200. The serpentine belt was $40. I did it myself. It was a pain
actually on that model truck, but I figure at the same labor rate they
charge I could do it for just over half now that I have done one.

LOL..that is not an isolated case.

A year ago I needed a door handle for a shop pickup (Ford F150).

Being that I had to go the dealer for a recall repair, I stopped by
the parts counter for a quote.

I was quoted $156.

Both I and the parts counter guy laughed and laughed and laughed.

He said that usually most people get mad and it was refreshing to have
a customer who would laugh at the obvious stupidity of the situation.

On the way home, I stopped by and got one from the junkyard....cost
$2.00...and a box of doughnuts ...and a thank you.

....and a standing offer to help them fight off any urban renewal that
would cause them to go away.

TMT

TMT

Ford, Europe at least, used to be known for having some of the most
expensive spare parts of any major car maker but they did turn that
around and became more competitive price wise. A mate said that on many
occasions he found the Ford OEM parts from the dealer cheaper or
comparable to the pattern parts being sold by local "cheap" spares
places. It does pay to shop around sometimes.