Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bernard Peek Bernard Peek is offline

Default OTish: do larger aerials extend the range of wifi routers/repeaters?

On 04/04/11 19:33, Jim K wrote:
trying to tweak my wifi signal to reliably get to the garage - will
adding a longer aerial (ebay £10) increase the range noticeably? or is
it snake oil?

It's not the size that matters, I'm told.

You can increase the range of a wi-fi signal by using a higher gain
aerial. It's also possible to use more directional aerials which will
increase the range in one direction and decrease it in another. With the
right aerials at each end the maximum range of a domestic wi-fi signals
is over 3,000 metres.

--
Bernard Peek