Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Why does the 115V-24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

On 4/3/2011 10:48 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 4/2/2011 11:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:

I just popped the covers on both transformers. There is no evidence of a
fuse
in either one.

I just metered the old
transformer and it's the input side that's bad

The thermal fuse is *under* the tape or paper wrapping. Rip it off and
look. I'd say it's quite likely that you can fix both those transformers
for a few dollars.

Yes. Or it may just be a bit of thinner wire, that is what I used to
see. But you have to do some cutting to get to it.

I can't speak to recent generation transformers, I haven't fixed one in
10 years, but I used to "fix" quite a few and never had subsequent
problems. When you fix audio gear the customer often is bent on trying
to destroy it again!

Since the replacement part is readily available, and in an upgrade for
not much, just replace it. In my case, the transformers were hard to
come by.

The parts that may draw power are not likely to be a little damage,
they will either be blown or not. This will either work or not.
Switching supplies lead to such nebulous territory, and it is doubtful
this has any. Telltale signs for those are puffy tops of capacitors. You
can check transistors and diodes for shorts easily.

It's also doubtful this is surge related.

BTW, transformers are really rated in VA (volt amps), not watts.

Jeff

Jeff