Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Wireless mics and small PA for speaker meetings

On Apr 4, 11:10*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:47:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You might just about get 1 cheap radio mic for that. The ones I use are
more like 2000 quid each.

Or more... I was going to suggest the Sennheiser G3 range but even
those come it at around £500/channel. How much are the G2's? CPC have
Audio Technica UHF diversity for £169 + VAT. But one assumes the pub
is VAT registered so can get that back.

Lots of small speakers will give much better coverage than one or two
large ones for speech, but then you're into using 100 volt line or lots
of amps.

Yes several well placed smaller speakers at lower level much better
than just one or two blasting out from the front. With devious
series/parallel wiring you don't have to go to 100v line. Most amps
these days will drive 4 ohms without trouble but with reduced power
capabilty. 4 ohms is two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, a stereo amp
gives four speakers... Should be enough for the average pub lounge
bar.

If you go with 2 stereo amps off freecycle, you get a few advantages
over one:
- if part of the system fails, the system continues working
- if part fails, you're not under severe time pressure to get a
replacement, and can ask on freecycle etc
- you get twice the max power output availability
- you get full control over the volume of each speaker

NT